Well, this is it! In about 10 hours, I'll be hitting the water for the big race. Today started with an early morning road spin near the hotel. Just as I left the parking lot, another CDA racer rolled up on his warm up. We rode together for 15 miles or so before calling it a day and a good warm up. Next up, head back into CDA for some lunch and gear check-in. I have to say, this is (so far) one of the most stressful parts of the race--sorting out your gear and nutrition plan. I wasn't planning on using any of the special needs bags, which are bags placed in the middle of the course with whatever you want. But I figured what the heck. So I put an extra tube, CO2, and a snickers in the bike bag and an apple pie, snickers and gel in the run bag. They will be there if I need them.
My gear bags, sort of all set to go.
Thousands (literally) of gear bags line the CDA City Park lawn. One set of bags for the bike transition and another for the run transition.
After check-in, we drove one loop of the bike course. Man, that is one hilly course on the north end! Have to keep that in mind. Chill on the climbs and push on the flats and rollers. After the drive, we came back to the hotel with some time to chill out before dinner. Went over to Hay J's again and had a good dinner, even celebrated Jeana's dad's birthday. Now, after finishing up some last minute prep and setting 2 alarm clocks for 3:45am, I'm getting ready for bed. This will likely be a fairly restless night's sleep as the nerves/excitement are starting to kick.
My bike, all racked and ready to go. You should have seen some of the incredible time trial machines on the racks. I swear, there must have been $millions in bikes there, guarded all night long I would imagine. Notice the plastic bag over the seat to at least keep something dry in the event of rain!
Next time I enter into my blog, I hope to have been called an Ironman, as I cross the finish line. Thanks again for all the well wishes and good luck calls!
3 comments:
Hey Dude, we just tracked you on the IM site. You SLAYED the swim! 20mph average on the bike. Nice work indeed. Looks like yr still on the run. Cruise it in and enjoy yrself some pints. You deserve it!!!
you are a rockstar!! we have been tracking hi drew all day. we are so proud!! see you soon
WOW!!! Drew you rocked it. Holy cow... 10:30.... that's an amazing time for your first Ironman. I think it's time for you to invest in one of those time trial machines, I am sure you will be up with the pros. They are a bunch of cheaters on those.
Post a Comment