I spent this past weekend up in Northern California touring the Bay Delta and State Water Project facilities. One of my clients invited me to tour the facilities with their staff. We spent three days up in the Bay Area near San Francisco. We saw for our own eyes how vulnerable the Delta is to levee collapse, salt water intrusion from the ocean, and other environmental issues such as protected fish.

The Delta, and the starting point for much of our water supply in SoCal.
This trip was a very unique experience for me. Even as far south as Southern California, more than 400 miles away, we plan for and consider the State Water Project facilities and water supplies on almost a daily basis. I have seen countless pictures, read countless charts and tables on flows and supply reliabilities, but I had yet to actually see these facilities that we are so reliant on. It was a great experience and we had excellent tour guides from the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
I may get arrested for posting this picture, but I'll take my chances.
The picture above is of the Banks Pumping Station, essentially one of the first big pumping stations to send water from the Bay Area all the way down to SoCal. The Delta is in the background and the SWP forebay immediately upstream of the pumping station. This is a secure area and some pics aren't allowed, but my camera just seemed to have a mind of it's own. Quick, look over there!

No comments:
Post a Comment