I brought my road bike with me this time to try and find my way over to a fabled climb in the Malibu area, Latigo Canyon. This is a climb that my friends Steve and Molly introduced me to a few years ago and it never disappoints. Last night I mapped my ride. Start from their home in Newbury Park, northwest through Pt. Magu, south on PCH, up Latigo Cyn, north on Mulhulland Pkwy, east on Hwy 23/Westlake Drive, and then north through Lake Sherwood on Potrero Road back home. Total distance of 62 miles with 3-4k feet of climbing in the middle.
It rained all night and wasn't much clearer in the morning. Feeling fairly Lance-esque, I decided to brave the elements and head out. Within a few minutes I was soaked and after riding through the agricultural area of Hueneme, I was covered in mud...first time ever on a road ride! Glasses were useless and so was whining, so I made the most of this mini-adventure and cruised towards PCH.
An incredible coastline and storm front wonders.
It's pretty incredible riding along PCH north of Malibu. The water was clear, the clouds were opening up over the ocean and the muds sprays from passing trucks were bearable. Riding south into Malibu, I decided to fuel up and ate my one Gu and pack of Clif Blox before heading up into Latigo Canyon. The Latigo climb was as awesome as usual. Very few cars, not too steep and consistently switchbacky and upgradient for about 8 miles or so. After 4 miles I hit the clouds and started "dancing on my pedals," as Mr. Paul Sherwin would say. My "dancing" was more like a ballroom waltz compared to the freakin' rave-style romp that Lance and those fellas keep up. But whatever, this was my hill today without any other cyclist on it.
Up, up, and more up. Riding into the clouds is surreal.
Made it through the clouds and stopped for a quick photo at the top. Forty miles in, I was feeling good and stoked to be done with the big climb. Twenty miles left of rolling terrain and downhill, no problem. Think again. After descending Latigo and riding a few miles in on Mulholland, it happened. Bonk No. 1. This was no typical bonk. This was an explosive, sudden holy crap can I even turn the pedals over type bonk. With only a few swigs of water left (yeah, huge calories there), I depleted all supplies left and hoped I could ride through. After a few sketchy mind numbing turns and euphoric dreams of anything salty, I pushed through this bonk and made it to Potrero Road. (Editors note: Bonking near horse stables and cow pastures is not a good thing. Even used salt licks and road apples look enticing.)
Sweet, only a few stretches left and then home to more grub than I could eat. Not so easy says Mother Nature. With storm no. 2 rolling in, the cold head wind kicked up and my pseudo-time trial form was all I could muster to cut under the wind. After about 17 seconds of being able to hold this position, I sat up, clicked down and decided I was in survival mode. Basically a sure-fire way of saying bring on Bonk No. 2! And it happened. Riding into a head wind mid-bonk sucks. I'll say no more. With one final climb to go and still actually pedaling strong (my mind was a few miles back), I was starting to taste all the chips, bananas, beer, salty snacks, pizza, Christmas Crack, etc. that I would inhale when home.
Made it. Shoes off, straight to the salty snacks, gatorade, bananas... What a ride. I would do it again in a heartbeat, but next time use my brain and bring more food and sustenance. Lunch at Islands was one of the best lunches ever. Mental note, pack more food!!!
2 comments:
Way to go Drew!
you give me inspiration to not whine....since i have and all...
but then again I AM old enough to be your mom-
signed.......
Molly's mom
I didn't know that bonking could make such an interesting story...actually it sounds like a wonderful ride (minus the lack of food).
Post a Comment